Friday, October 17, 2008

A new level of discipline

I almost called this entry "Be careful what you pray for".

I recently realized I needed to include daily writing in my regular routine. This is my prayer as I transition from Product Development Manager to Writer.

Shortly after that, I committed to something called 31 for 21 which calls for a daily blog entry in support of Down Syndrome Awareness. The first problem I ran into was b l o g-a d d i c t i o n. In my first 2 weeks I had to learn to control my tendency to "immerse" in the blogging world - so entertaining, vast and diverse. Another problem was distilling parenting topics from life topics. It takes discipline to avoid chattering on this site in an effort to say something to support the daily blog commitment. The babbling, rambling, pointless, meandering, less focused posts are should be limited to my alternate site.

And what does this have to do with parenting? It is important to think before you speak. To consider timing and location. To consider audience. To consider relevance. To consider personal motivation. And to trust that those who should listen, will hear.

Blessings,

7 comments:

Maggie, Dammit said...

Blog Addiction is happening to me right now! I haven't had Internet for a few days and I happened to find a quick window this morning and I was just gonna sit down to take care of a key important thing and here I am, 30 minutes later, running late! ARGH.

It's frustrating. But it's good, too, I swear. :)

you gotta wonder said...

I'm loving my forays (did you catch that your site is one of the links in "addiction"?) and am definitely benefiting from the leaps of faith. I know you'll do well with your your latest!

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I totally get the blog addiction thing. Sometimes I have to send myself on forced holidays from blogging.

you gotta wonder said...

I'm loving the attention! JTB - you're the "n" in my addiction!

flutter said...

I am NOT addicted to blogs. What? Why are you laughing?

Anonymous said...

I'm a total addict too. I've actually had to step away the past month and recoup. There are so many wonderful blogs out there I discover every day.

For instance, yours! :) Thanks for the shout out!

you gotta wonder said...

I'm so happy y'all visited!