Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thirst for Wisdom

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness." (James 3:17-18)

A little while ago I lost patience with someone at work. I was not feeling stressed or tense regarding the situation that went badly...until it went badly, of course. But I trust God's ability to teach us in all circumstances and I was reminded that I have room to grow when it comes to seeking God's constant companionship. I shared with you here that I wrote an apology note.

Yesterday, I had two encounters that are relevant to this story. First, I ran into a co-worker in the cafeteria and I shared with him some positive feedback I'd heard from his boss. It's important to pass on praise and let folks know when others say good things about them - we so often only hear the negative. During the course of that conversation we touched on the topic that had "blown up" with a different co-worker. He knew the meeting with that co-worker went badly and commented that he'd heard about my written apology. He also commented that the other co-worker had indicated some reluctance to meet with me again. Awkward? Maybe. I didn't get any context and didn't have time to fish. My comment? "Aw! I'm not that scary!"

Later, I ran into the other co-worker. It was clear there was no tension or anxiety. We were both smiling and we had a nice follow-up chat. I believe my prayers for wisdom and guidance, prayers that led me to write a note sown in peace, were answered. The world of my employment is not a world of humility and submission but increasingly I find that humility and submission are the paths to greater reward. Should I be surprised that God knows best? Of course not.

I've been thinking a lot about our journeys and our final destinations and I'm reminded of the thought that prevails: "It's not about the destination; it's about the journey. Pay attention to the road you're traveling and measure the steps you are taking." I tend to drive too fast and rush to my destination. I'm challenging myself to slow down and enjoy the "getting there" instead of rushing to "be there."

God, bless me on this journey and help me to focus on the small acts and chance encounters instead of always focusing on the goal. May I always seek Your heavenly guidance and be blessed by Your wisdom. Your blessings abound in the here and now.

Praise Your name!
Amen

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I'm challenging myself to slow down and enjoy the "getting there" instead of rushing to "be there."

Absolutely. I hear you.

Great post!!