Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thirst for Wisdom

Sometimes when I'm reading the Bible I hit on scripture that hits me back. This week, I was struck by the pure humility of Christ. If you have time, I encourage you to read John 5:16-47 in its entirety.


If anyone had a right to feel confident in his abilities, surely it was Jesus, the Son of God. Yet he says "I can do nothing by myself." He sought not to please himself, but to please God, His Father.

It's not that Christ's humility is new news. Yet...somehow, in reading John and seeing the power and the might of miracles he performed, in reading of the recognition and glory he received from his "peers", in seeing the fear he inspired in his enemies...I'm bowled over by his patient explanation in response to the people who wanted him killed. He never loses sight of his role. Of his place in the grand scheme of things. He is, always, our best role model.

How true is this for all of us?

"By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me." (John 5:30)

What a blessing! The quiet confidence that comes from faith in God, not faith in ourselves.

For myself, I'm happy to give God the glory and to recognize His power and might. Without Him I am nothing. I have nothing. With Him, I lack nothing.

God, help me to remain humble throughout the day, every day.

I give You praise!
Amen

No comments: