Sunday, February 8, 2009

A word about Eva

Last month Guidepost Magazine published the story of my healing experience. (Well, one of my healing experiences.)

The story focused on the period following spinal surgery in 2004, or more specifically, the period following complications that arose several months after the surgery. I was suddenly experiencing severe migraines. I couldn't work. I couldn't function. Apparently I'd somehow torn my spinal column and the "hydraulic system" that keeps the brain safely floating/cushioned in fluid was leaking. The cure, it seemed, was bed rest. Complete and utter, not-fooling-around, bed rest. In fact, my hips needed to be elevated higher than my head to ensure that what fluid was in the system was getting to my brain.

This is not a medical condition that you hear much about. Diagnosis is generally based on "positional headaches." Standing up = severe headaches. Within minutes of lying down = no headache. My headaches were accompanied by nausea and vomiting. All in all I was not having a good time. Several misdiagnosis preceded the final determination. It was a relief to have a diagnosis that made some sense, and a course of action no matter how passive.

A few weeks ago I received a letter from an Amish lady named Eva. It seems she is leaking spinal fluid. We played a round of phone tag and I wrote her a letter. We finally got a chance to talk. My article prompted her to re-engage with the medical community. When I spoke with her, she had made an appointment with a neurologist. Her husband left me another voice mail last week after the visit with the doctor, and I in turn left them a voice mail. I'm writing another letter today. I am so glad to be able to offer some practical advice and speak from experience. Eva is the first person I've "met" who's suffered from leaking spinal fluid.

This is what motivated me to get the story published. It's part of what motivates me to publish my thoughts and experiences here: the idea that someone somewhere will read these words and be touched in a positive way.

Blessings,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helping this one daily.
BFF

Jeanette said...

That is very cool! It is amazing how God uses you to touch others!!!

Heidi said...

It's so great when our lives connect with others lives. You get to be an inspiration to her...how wonderful!

you gotta wonder said...

This has truly been a blessing. I hope that Eva is taking my advice and staying prone while she heals. If so, it may be a few weeks before I hear from her again.