Sunday, January 23, 2011

According to one who knows

Mary waited patiently while her friend’s sobs subsided. She patted her back and rubbed her shoulders, making soothing noises and saying things like “there, there.” After a while, Sue’s breathing slowed, with only the occasional hiccup breaking through as she regained her composure.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” Sue said. “How can I go on?”

“Don’t worry, honey. You’ll be fine. No matter what anyone else tells you, you can take it from me. You know I’ve got the credentials: three attorneys and seven ex-husbands. There most certainly is life after divorce.”

This is a response to the 100 word challenge put forth by Velvet Verbosity.

4 comments:

Bo said...

Very good! Its always hard to think things will be better when you are going through something terribel.

June B. Anderson said...

Nice imagery. Good job.

Velvet Verbosity said...

I love the sassy comforting friend. Everyone going through this kind of grief needs a friend like that.

you gotta wonder said...

@Bo, @JuneAnderson and @VelvetVerbosity: Thank you! I definitely wanted to convey the balance between angst and sass!