Thursday, December 16, 2010

Famous Last Words

“I don’t think I can do this.”

“Put on your game face. You’ll be fine.”

“John, I know tenure is important to you, but I don’t think I can spend all evening with the faculty and their spouses, pretending there’s nothing wrong, expecting to avoid suspicion. Won’t it be worse if it comes out here?”

“This won’t be the first affair disclosed after a few drinks.”

“An affair with another man…?”

“You’ve got a point. If it comes up, act like it’s the most natural thing in the world.”

“If you say so.”

“After you, my dear.”

This 100 word challenge post.

2 comments:

Velvet Verbosity said...

Ah. Now I can comment. :) Great piece. So much of life is that wrestling with our "true" selves that must be kept private from our "public" selves. Peace comes when we can merge the two gracefully.

you gotta wonder said...

I'm glad to have fixed the commenting block. Now I know why everyone seems to have captcha turned on (to avoid the "anonymous" spam). Still, they're relatively benign. And I'm more mature now, should the trolls return.

I am grateful for your hosting these exercises! I'm loving it!