Saturday, May 23, 2009

Café Chat May 23rd


Today's topic (first, view this video):

In light of the Francis Chan video, how do you live out your Christian walk with Jesus? Do you always play it safe? Or do you take risks?

This morning I went to a service to celebrate the life of a fellow parishioner who passed away. After our minister's eulogy, his daughter got up and added her comments. I thought, "Wow! I don't want to think about what my children would say about me if I passed away today." This topic is timely for me, because I'd much rather think about what God will say about me when my time on earth is finished.

I used to play it safe. I went to church once a week. I taught Sunday School. I served on the Vestry (like Elders). In the last year or so I've taken it to the next level in many ways. I talk openly about God and my faith. This blog has become a place where I regularly express my beliefs. I write for my church newsletter. I was very uncomfortable when I first started writing about scripture and about God's will for us. "Who am I?" I asked. "Why would anyone listen to me?" I definitely felt exposed to criticism and I certainly felt unqualified for what I was doing.

Then I began to realize that God has been bringing me here; training me to think analytically and preparing me to be open and honest in His word. There's a term for what I write: exegesis.

Ironically, now this is starting to feel safe so I'm now taking it up a notch again. I do not want to be the gymnast who clings to the balance beam! I want to push myself knowing that no matter how it feels, no matter how tricky and daring the maneuver...if I'm acting, speaking, writing in God's name, I'm still safe. But as our judge, he recognizes that trusting Him is an act of faith and our faith will be rewarded. I look forward to hearing Him say "Faithful servant, well done."

In one or two sentences, what do you want to be said of you, and how you lived out your life for Jesus when your time on earth is finished.

"Today we celebrate Fran's passing. She lived her life as an apostle, loving everyone and bringing Christ's light into the world."

6 comments:

sharon said...

Amen! His grace is sufficient and He is taking you to heights you cannot even imagine. Thanks so much for sharing.

Blessings,
sharon

HisFireFly said...

Let Him lead and He will be glorified in all you do. Great post Fran!

Toknowhim said...

Thanks for participating today... I too want to hear well done, faithful servant...

Denise said...

Very awesome.

Beth in NC said...

Your post made me cry. I feel like I was doing similar things as you. I was a lay pastor, writing for our church newsletter, had many roles ... but now ... I am holding still. It is a strange place to be for me.

Thank you for sharing! I just joined the discussion today (2 days late).

Love,
Beth

Nichols said...

A few years ago I went to a fellow Cursillista's memorial service and lovingly looked at the full sanctuary of not just friends but lives that she had touched. That's what I want - I want there to be lives that I have touched. I want to make a difference in their life, and make a difference in God's kingdom - for His glory.