Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tips for Better Living

Recognize God for all that He is, all that He has done, all that He can do, all that He will do. Be grateful to God for all that He has given us. Be obedient to God's will. Keep your word in all of the promises you make to God. Turn to God in times of need, accept His help and give Him glory.

God said, "I am God, your God! .... Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High. Then call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory.” (Psalm 50:7b,14-15 NLT)

It seems simple enough, but how often we forget! It is so easy to forget to say "Thank you!" It is so easy to make "foxhole promises" that evaporate when our well-being no longer seems threatened. Ultimately, God is looking for a relationship with us. A loving and respectful relationship where we say what we mean and we mean what we say. Where we honor Him with our words and our actions. Where we acknowledge His greatness and His grace and His mercy.

The best part is, God knows that life is hard. God knows that we may be tested beyond our endurance. But we are never tested beyond His endurance! He is always there for us. He wants to help us, to ease us through difficult times. But...we must let Him. Sometimes, and I know this from personal experience, we are our own worst enemy - fighting His influence in our willful desire to be "independent." If we let Him, He will be there for us. He wants to rescue us. But, He also wants to be recognized and given credit for His work.

I love that God is desiring this level of intimacy in our lives. I was so moved when I read this Psalm that I spent the day thinking about how personal it feels to know that God is looking for such a close relationship with me. And to know that He wants to "be there for me" in times of need.

God, I thank you for all that you do for me on a daily basis. I thank you for all that you do for me that I am not even aware of! I thank you for responding to my prayer requests. Today I cry out for Deborah, Julia, Sarah, Eva, Ashley, Maggie (and her girls), Sue, Randall (and family), and all those in trouble, sorrow or any kind of adversity. Praise you, Lord, for hearing my prayers, and answering them in your way, in your time. You are awesome!

Amen.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

You are a beautiful, wonderful person.

you gotta wonder said...

@ Heidi, Thank you for your kindness.