Sunday, October 26, 2008

Receiving and Giving

"It is more blessed to give than to receive." You're hearing this from me 3rd hand. Paul attributes this quote to Jesus in Acts 20:35. From my own experience, the pursuit of tithing (giving 10% of our income) has been a challenge because the greater our generosity, the greater the blessings we've received. Maybe it was just timing, or good fortune, but our reality has been a life of increasing comfort. We're not wealthy, but we're comfortable. In these times of financial uncertainty, I would be foolish to assume continued good fortune is guaranteed.

On a day when Jesus was healing people of evil spirits (demons) he commented "But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort." I don't want to take what we have for granted. I do not want to become greedy. I want to remain generous. I have not forgotten the days of living below the poverty line.

This is on my mind because we're talking to our 14 year old about giving part of his "allowance" as a tithe offering. We waited waaaay too long to have this discussion. I encourage everyone to be good stewards and to raise children who are good stewards. Don't wait until they are teens.

Everything that I have is a gift. Everything you have is a gift. Pass it on.

Blessings,

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Dave Ramsey (Financial Peace) has some great guidelines about kids and money. He has some for starting in late adolescence as well.

you gotta wonder said...

Ha! Funny. Dave Ramsey was the inspiration for the salary/hourly pay for chores discussion! I'll look for the referenced material on the topic for adolescence.

Thanks!