Monday, September 29, 2008

Do's and Dont's

I've learned a lot in the last 22 years of parenting. Some of what I've learned is what NOT to do. Since I'm still in the business (my youngest is 14). I'm hoping to get help from the parents who visit this blog. Here are a couple of items that have been on my mind. I hope to hear some feedback.

DO:
  1. Make your children pick up after themselves.
  2. Leave "love notes" or other messages for your children to show your affection.
  3. Stick to your word, including delivering on any "threats" of punishment.
  4. Assign household chores and expect these to be completed in a timely fashion (regardless of attitude).

DON'T:

  1. Make your children clean their rooms. (Do leave them some territory to learn on their own, such as the benefit of putting things away).
  2. Constantly badger and nag your kids.
  3. Threaten things you can't deliver on (like "You're never going to bake another cake if you don't clean this mess up!")
  4. Make chores arduous or unreasonable for the age (and don't expect the attitude to always be ideal).

That's enough for now. What are your thoughts?

No comments: